What should Christina charge?

Thank you friends for liking my espresso cups and asking "what do they go for?". They go well with espresso and are super cool for a bourbon or a tequila. Hell, a discreet morning wine while watering your garden would be nice.   I assume how much do they go for means how much do I sell them for.
little squishy libation cups $50 each
I like a finished bottom. Avery labels as resist and then wadded.

My mind hearkens back to our little house in NC. Me having posted a blog showing the wee cups and saying I couldn't charge as much for them as my big ones although there is just as much as work. Dan came charging in the door with that evil Irish look in his eyes. How much are you going to charge for those cups????? You have been making pots for over 40 years, you have a reputation so if you don't charge at least $50 dollars for a cup then what can my former students like Christina charge $8??????????

Little roundies $50 each
Soft yellow- hagi at it's best! $50

You are screwing the up and coming potters out of a living by under cutting them.
So Dan that logic stung me like a bee.  I care more about my students and yours than I do about me.
I am making far fewer pots than I used to make. I attend to more details and all that casual look took a lot of practice. I would like them to be used for a precious drink . A drink of great espresso, a top shelf bourbon, a tequila straight up with a slice of lime and a moment that is special. That special moment can be with someone you love or it could be you and your new cup and your own love song.
We need no advice but approval. Coco Chanel
So since I have heeded Dan's advice I got some for him.
Red meat is not bad for you.
Fuzzy green meat is!


Comments

Anonymous said…
It's those damned fuzzy greenbacks that will get you
Linclon & Jackson a problem for some.
As Ray Charles sang and Renald Richard wrote:

"Green Backs"
As I was walking down the street last night
A pretty little girl came into sight
I bowed and smiled and asked her name
She said, "Hold it bud, I don't play that game"
I reached in my pocket, and to her big surprise
There was Lincoln staring her dead in the eyes.
On a greenback, greenback dollar bill
Just a little piece of paper, coated with chlorophyll.
She looked at me with that familiar desire
Her eyes lit up like they were on fire
She said, "My name's Flo, and you're on the right track,
But look here, daddy, I wear furs on my back,
So if you want to have fun in this man's land,
Let Lincoln and Jackson start shaking hands."
On a greenback, greenback dollar bill
Just a little piece of paper, coated with chlorophyll.
I didn't know what I was getting into
But I popped Lincoln and Jackson, too
I didn't mind seeing them fade out of sight,
I just knew I'd have some fun last night
Whenever you in town and looking for a thrill
If Lincoln can't get it, Jackson sure will.
On a greenback, greenback dollar bill
Just a little piece of paper, coated with chlorophyll.
We went to a nightspot where the lights were low
Dined and danced, and I was ready to go
I got out of my seat, and when Flo arose,
She said, "Hold on daddy, while I powder my nose"
I sat back down with a smiling face,
While she went down to the powder place.
With my greenback, greenback dollar bill
Just a little piece of paper, coated with chlorophyll.
The music stopped and the lights came on,
I looked around and saw I was all alone
I didn't know how long Flo had been gone
But a nose powder sure didn't take that long
I left the place with tears in my eyes
As I waved Lincoln and Jackson a last goodbye.
On a greenback, greenback dollar bill
Just a little piece of paper, coated with chlorophyll.
cookingwithgas said…
as we continue to play the price wars even here among the arts, It is a shame we are lead by others to decide how the work is priced....oh, well, so it is.
smokieclennell said…
cooking withgas; If ya ain't leading I guess you're following. As potters most of us were never any good at following. For over 40 years I have been the one with the low prices. I don't want to be anymore. I now have a pension to subsidize my position like many have had all the while with spouses and inheritances. Everything I own I bought with money from clay( teaching, making, etc all clay). No apologies for the position I now take. Keep the flame alive- T
Anonymous said…
Put on your game face when you're pricing your fine wares.

Popular Posts