Pete's Inverse Law of Expectations Revisited

Some good posts on pricing of pots on FB. I thought I should revisit Pete Pinnell's Inverse Law of Expectations with a ceramic spin.
As Pete described his Law to me he used a shirt as the analogy. Pay $10 for a shirt and you work in it and throw it in the washing machine. Pay $100 for a shirt and wear it on special occasions and have it dry cleaned. Pay $1000 for a shirt and you wear it once and have it framed to hang on the wall.
Takuro Shibata $50 US, Me $50 Cdn ,Denny Gerwin $30US
I ordered two of Denny's, one for me, one for Emma with exchange and shipping $90.
Hey you get two fingers with one cube with me.
I love Denny and Takuro so I'd have paid more- don't tell them.

OK lets do cups.
Pay 80 cents for a cup at IKEA and when you find it in the studio with 2 week old coffee all green and fuzzy you throw it in the garbage.
Pay $10 for a cup and you put it on the dash of your car or maybe let it roll around on the floor and then you throw it in the dishwasher. Forget it on the wood pile the day you split wood.  No big deal.  Pay $50 for a cup and it stays in the house and you hand wash it. You may take it out on the porch to enjoy a nice drink while reading a book or people watching. It often ends up in the cupboard.
Pay $100 for a cup and you use it occasionally, you definitely hand wash it and it goes on your cup display rack in the dining room.
Pay $1000 for a cup and you are thinking when I croak this has to go to a collection somewhere if my kids don't love it like I do. You might even consider writing it into your will.
Whatever your advice on pricing of pots lets talk in 40 years when you have stumbled and rumbled,  raised a family by the use of your hands and by being as hard headed as a wrecking ball.  Lets see if you still are as passionate about your career as I am. It ain't for sissies.
I'd rather risk an ugly surprise than rely on things I know I can do. Helen Frankenthaler.

Two of my favourite artists
John Chalke $800 about 15 years ago. It's in the will.

Helen Frankenthaler- priceless
I love her work and damn ain't she sexy!

Comments

smartcat said…
WOW! You hit the pricing nail right on the head. My collectibles get used in the house and treated gently. My own seconds end up in studio, garden, by pond and pool. And I must admit to being very bad about bringing them in. I think eight was my record.
‘A Moveable Blue’ is one of my all time favorite paintings.
cookingwithgas said…
one day as I was using a pot in my kitchen that I considered a second many moons ago I looked at the pot and I thought about all the years I had used that second, years, it has held food, been washed and washed again, served in, and served me well. It is still in my kitchen today, still being used and now is a goodly 35 years into its service. We are all guilty of pots we use, pots we enjoy and pots that become precious.
I live and work in an area that has lost its origin to pots. Pots were made to be used, affordable, now- well life changes doesn't it?
We had a good life as potters, now we are struggling, it is a wicked beast this clay and money.
We raised 2 kids while doing this, it is good that they make their own money now, we could not do it now.
We had good advice by our elder potters who lived here, without that advice we may have gone into terrible debt like we saw potters around us do.
We continue to make some good straight up mugs at an affordable price.
For your 50 bucks you can use our mugs,and get change back.
smokieclennell said…
cookingwithgas A nice narrative. Do what ya have to do. Yes, the market has changed and so have I. I did good straight forward production for 35 years. I got bored of it. Perhaps the MFA did that. Not sure but still praise those of you that make . I have never said otherwise. T

Popular Posts