The Last Waltz

I was shuffling thru my I-Photo library and I came across some photos and some memories of my friend Robin "Grass" Hopper's last workshop. I had invited him to do a workshop at Sheridan College. It was the last of 3 he had done in 2 weeks. It also proved to be the last one he would do. He has warned me against burn out and I know what he talks of. The difference is that Grass attracted people by the hundreds. I attract 13 winos and a troll. My workshops are much more casual events unlike the big stage of Canada's biggest rock star. I will experience the big stage this May at the Icheon Ceramics Festival in Korea and then again at the International Ceramics Festival in Aberystwyth, Wales. I know I will receive counsel from Grass before I head out.
 If you are quietly working away in your studio making pots out of the limelight of Broadway don't sweat it. Your stress level is lower and you're still dancing.  I've found dancing alone isn't all that bad and nobody laughs at my awkward moves.



Comments

GRASS said…
Thanks Dr T. MLSD, I had a great time doing 198 + workshops all over the place. I really enjoyed the workshop concept, teaching people who really wanted to learn. I over did it and my doctor warned me that if I didn't quit, I would be dead in six months. Quite the ultimatum! So, I reluctantly quit! That was four years ago! Never one to enjoy sitting on my backside, I took up more teaching with a blog for nearly two years, and later a Facebook Educational Page for just over a year. I love helping people learn and this gives me the best of both worlds. best wishes to all my fans, R
meg said…
Love you Mr. H. (and your t-shirts)
Cambria Pottery said…
Your both great teachers as far as I know. Never directly but through blogs and books I have gained thanks to you both.
jenleis said…
Yeah, those are some BOSS t-shirts Mr Hopper! And your pots are not too shabby either.

Popular Posts