Donovan's Ride

I cleaned out the firebox of the big bourry box kiln that Donovan Palmquist built for us at Pinecroft.  The kiln uses between 3 and 4 bush cords per firing. I looked up the weight of a cord of wood and of course it depends on the type of wood and whether it is green or not. I figure ours is around 4000 lbs per cord. To illustrate how efficient that firebox is look at the amount of ash I cleaned out. I don't have enough to fill a 5 gallon pail. I spent the day chain sawing and moving the 4 cords and it hit me like a ton of bricks. I was in bed at 8 and slept till 7. I ached where I used to play. I have to remind myself that I'm not 36 anymore. Going this morning to fill the pickup with some ash boards that we use to fire the first 8-10 hours.



Comments

Dennis Allen said…
This sounds like a great project for those students of yours. At my age if the young bucks want to show me who's toughest, I let them.Have a great firing.
Unknown said…
Can't wait to fire the bourry box!
You should have let use help out this coming weekend. I'm bringing Jesse, if you need more help he can help ya!
bptakoma said…
How much of that wood do you think becomes glaze on the pots?

Popular Posts