Dispelling Rumours

My friend Dawn thinks that going back to Art School is the domain of 20 year olds. Well I'm here to dispel that rumour. In the last ten years of my teaching at Sheridan the demographic of Art students has changed and with that the number of students over the age of 50 has increased dramatically.  In the last few years I have taught Veternarians, architects, lawyers, teachers, administrators, Phd's, stock brokers and the list goes on. All of them were woman and most over the age of 45. So if you have ever given going to Art School a second thought and you thought you'd be in with a group of pimply faced, snotty nosed teenagers think again. I would then go on to say that even if the student is 20 something they already have a University degree in most cases.
I am also most proud of the multi cultural cross section of students at Sheridan. Here is the graduating class of 2014 and some awesome sculptural work by Habiba- El Sayed and Marissa Alexander. Sorry I didn't get the work of the others. Too much smoozing to do.



Comments

Russell Wrankle said…
Some nice work there Mr. Clennell. I too have students that are over 50 and often they are afraid of their own shadow, but they persevere with a strong work ethic that takes them further than the "snotty nosed" 20 year olds. After a semester or two you wouldn't know that they have never taken an art class.
Tracey Broome said…
Woohoo! Let's hear it for the over fifty girls (I would fit into that category).
I hang out with a potter that is 80, a crazy Scottish lass that can drink me under the table any day of the week, not to mention, she can make some damn nice pots and she is still selling at shows and looking for new galleries. 80 is the new 50, ha!
jffollies said…
My husband (72) and I(67) have been back in school since I turned 60. We have taken ceramics with Dennis Sisporski for the last 7 years. We enjoy the kids and most of them enjoy us.
jffollies said…
My husband (72) and I(67) have been back in school since I turned 60. We have taken ceramics with Dennis Sisporski for the last 7 years. We enjoy the kids and most of them enjoy us.

Popular Posts