I wish


I could tell you that the real money is in my large signature jugs. When we operated our showroom I told everyone that the best deals in the room were the big pots. Hard to make, hard to glaze, take up a lot of room in the kiln, success rate is low, and because there are so few of them the percentage of racers is small. I figure 5% is a good rate for racers and most especially in a wood fired kiln. So if you get 10 large jugs in that means you have a chance of getting half a racer. The real money is in the littles. I am making some bourbon cups to fill all the empty spaces in the chamber. They fire for free, and because there is so many the percentage of racers(killers) is higher. The wood kiln could eat up 100 of them and spit out the change. At $20 each they will more than give a higher pay cheque per cubic inch of space. We have had some that have been sooooooooo damn nice we sold them for $150. Hey if you like your whiskey then I can think of no better vessel to enjoy it from.

Comments

John Bauman said…
I have been forced to reanalyze the economics of what I do. I just realized yesterday -- after running the numbers -- that the pots I'm making right now I am paying myself almost exactly half of what I was paying myself ten years ago.
Cyndi said…
It continues to intrigue me what sells in the gallery. One thing I have learned, is that if you have an excellent pot, no matter the price, it will sell. So, so work will sit on the shelves for months.

Popular Posts