Chair Man of the Bored

This is the first December in over 23 years when we weren't hanging around waiting for a customer to pull in to our showroom. I'm actually doing stuff in my little basement workshop. I'm not bored with actually having a life. I love chairs!!!!! It all started when we visited a wood show and saw all this crappy furniture selling and in amongst all this was a guy who made his chairs on a treadle lathe and put dry wood into green wood so that it shrank and no glue was used. He didn't sell a chair until a couple of years later I had saved up enough to buy one. It is a full Windsor that he stained pumpkin orange and then put a black paint over it. It is now wearing thru beautifully.
This week at Pinecroft I was thrilled to have Brenda give me a couple of ladder backs that her Uncle Charles had made. Charles was truly a Renaissance man that lived in a log house by the pond and kept a daily journal of growing produce for sale, making chairs, knitting and cutting block ice for people's ice boxes. I spent the afternoon cleaning up the chairs and bringing Charles back to life in his work.




I've been a good boy this year so Santa if you were wondering go to David Fleming's website and look at his incredible chairs. http://www.spokeshave.ca/shop.html  I'd take another rush Annie's chair to accompany Uncle Charles or I do love that Birdcage Windsor or the Connecticut Yankee or just choose anyone of them. Chairs and hats are a weakness. Did I mention good bourbon?

Comments

Popular Posts