Raining Cats and Dogs

It's March and it's not s

upposed to be raining here in Ontario. Today it is raining cats and dogs. When my class visited the Royal Ontario Museum it was explained to us that the term "raining cats and dogs" came from Medieval England where the cats and dogs would go up on the thatched roofs to hunt for rats and mice. When it rained heavily the critters could slip off the roof and land on the streets. I went for my morning walk and couldn't keep my Borsalino on my head and now have my coat hanging by the fire. My grand father used to say never hire a man that wears a hat or rolls his own cigarettes because if he isn't rolling a cigarette he is chasing his hat. What a miserable day but at least all the snow will be gone by nightfall. It's Pino Grigio Saturday here at Sour Cherry Pottery but I doubt many will be around. Oh well, we will reward ourselves for having to work weekends with filled glasses. Life is good!

Comments

Pet Lover said…
I did not knew that this figure of speech has some meaning behind it.
gz said…
We have it in Welsh too ("bwrw cathod a chwn") but I wonder where the other Welsh one comes from..."Bwrw hen wragedd a ffin"...raining old ladies and sticks!!

Popular Posts