Crash and burn




For more years than I can remember I have been crash cooling my work. This has worked well for the shinos, celedons, and tenmoku glazes that I have used. I fell in love with a satin matte glaze at USU called Buttermilk. When crash cooled here at home it is a good hard shiny white that lacks much of the character I expected. I just clam cooled the last firing and am pleased with the buttermilk and our ash celedon has a much more pleasing satin matte surface. The pots on the right are clammed and the ones on the left are crashed.
For crash cooling I leave the spy holes and damper open and drop the kiln to just under 1900F. This usually takes an hour and then I clam the kiln up. For clamming I just turn the burners off and close the damper.

Comments

Anonymous said…
beautiful crash cooled pots!
John Post said…
It's amazing how much larger the clam cooled pots are compared to the crash cooled pots. Who knew that crash cooling would make your pots shrink? LOL.

I prefer those softer surfaces on the clam cooled ones. They are very nice to look at, and I bet even nicer to hold.

Popular Posts